Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Goals 2019 -- April Recap

Food!  One of my favorite things.

I have to say, being a vegetarian for a month was WAY easier than not going out to eat -- and we even had three birthdays and a wedding that were "special exceptions" to the no eating out rule!

Actually, the wedding was also an exception to the vegetarian rule, but mostly because I was a little bit drunk and busy telling a story to someone else in the buffet line, and didn't even realize I had eaten chicken until it was completely gone!  To be fair, there wasn't a lot else to eat -- it definitely wasn't a buffet for vegetarians.  I wonder if that had to do with the fact that the whole event took place on a working dairy farm?  Fun fact: I milked a cow for the first time ever!  And possibly had some unpasteurized milk.

But really, vegetarianism is pretty darn easy, as it turns out.  At least for a month.  No restaurants?  Not so much.  Especially since S's favorite comfort fast food, the P'Zone, came to St. Louis this past month, and he's been waiting (not so) patiently for May 1st.

K's update:
So, here we are at the end of April and I have managed to meet a goal that I never set in writing (always a safe choice) and that I wasn’t even sure I needed. However, this month I learned that even small changes make a difference and sometimes a little life tweak is better that a whole life overhaul. Although, I guess that is sort of the point of our year experiment.

When M proposed a food-focused goal for April, I panicked. See, I don’t really cook. Ever. So I am at the mercy of those who are willing to cook for me. Now, mom and I probably could have managed some food-focused goals together, but add J into the mix and all bets are off. So, since he cooks fifty percent of the time at our house, nothing like M’s goals were going to work for me. Luckily, my co-worker D was working on following his trainer’s orders to stop drinking coffee, so for fun, I jumped on that bandwagon. Goal set! I also got back into the yoga groove, which always makes me increase my intake of water. Goal set! Finally, I thought that since it was the end of the semester, I needed to fight the “eat and run” mentality that usually overtakes me when life gets a little more hectic than usual. To that end, I would make a focused effort to eat a fresh fruit or veggie at every meal. Goal set!

And, I must say that I did a really good job at meeting these goals. I only had three cups of coffee this month, though please note that I did not give up caffeine, just coffee. The water goal had to be met or I would have died of dehydration at the feet of my yoga teacher, and since that would have made a scene, I drank my water like a champ! The one that required the most effort in the form of willpower was eating fruits and veggies, but since I had to eat anyway, I just added a little extra crunchy stuff to my dinner or had a clementine for dessert instead of ice cream. The moral of the story here is that if you pick goals that you’re already basically meeting, you can move the needle from “basic” to “exceptional” pretty easily so that you can brag about how you met your goals. On to May!

No comments:

Post a Comment