Monday, April 13, 2020

Movies -- A Recap -- Part I


S and I, as with much of the country and the world, have been watching a lot of movies lately.  Here's a recap with some quick thoughts:

Zombieland: Double Tap is the sequel to -- you guessed it -- Zombieland.  It is less entertaining than the original, although it probably is suffering in part from overly-high expectations.  I expected nothing from the first movie, and so was pleasantly surprised.  I expected this one to be as funny, so when it was slightly less good, it seemed like a disappointment.






As I recall, I never saw the last few episodes of the show, but that doesn't at all impair one's ability to follow the story line of the Downton Abbey movie.  And, though it was a delight to visit with the beloved characters again, the movie itself just isn't that great.







I remember when The Fighter came out.  I recall some Oscar buzz, and I'm basically predestined to like anything that has Amy Adams in it, and Mark Wahlberg doesn't hurt a movie's case either.  And any movie like this is made all the better when the fairy tale is based on a real live person.







S found a super cute movie called Troop Zero for us to watch.  And when I say "super cute," it's a movie about kids, so you sure know that I mean it!  100% adorable.  Totally love everything about it; very touching.  And the lead child actress was spectacular.







I had head the ridiculous name Awkwafina before, but it seems even dumber when associated with someone in the film The Farewell, which is otherwise a reasonably thoughtful appreciation of a particular cultural oddity.  And I really just wanted the girl with the weird name to stand up straight, rather than slumping forward all the time, for Pete's sake!





We found the cult classic Clue, which was both better than I imagined and unsurprisingly inappropriate.  But enjoyable despite all the terrible 1980s comedy which abounds, although I could do without all the shrieking.








Go! was passable as entertainment, but not spectacular for any other purpose.  It's a teenage love story flying in circles around a go kart track.  It's fun and cute, in a very teenage way.  So also probably not worth the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment