Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Song I'm Loving Today

Firewater (Amythyst Kiah)

I discovered this song while listening to the WNYC podcast series called Dolly Parton's America.  Near the end of the series, the producers included an episode called "Traveling Creatures," which featured two live performances.  Both of the featured songs are truly spectacular folk/Americana -- with beautiful, thoughtful, sorrowful lyrics and simple instrumentation -- and worth listening to.  Unfortunately, I can't find a good video for the other one (by a wise-beyond-her-years young banjo player from Brooklyn named Nora Brown), so you're only getting this one.  But you can certainly click the link above and listen to the podcast episode to hear them both. 

Melancholy always seemed to work for me,
Wistful and uncertain of dreams.
Stardust forms into shapes that never leave,
Strange and wary they all seem.
I'm a ghost in the hall, a haint in the room,
Everywhere I go, impending doom.

How many spirits does it take to lift the spirit?
I don't know, I don't know,
'Cause I've bought every spirit and I'm still laying here cryin' on the floor, on the floor.

So can you just leave me be?
Being drenched in firewater won't save me;
I'll forsake the path of filth.
Please, can you just leave me be?

Pensive stares are the only crowns I've ever gleaned,
So in the dark I find the answers that I need.
City lights are the only stars I ever see;
How many nights until I finally can breathe?

How many spirits does it take to lift the spirit?
I don't know, I don't know,
'Cause I've bought every spirit and I'm still laying here cryin' on the floor, on the floor.

So can you just leave me be?
Being drenched in firewater won't save me;
I'll forsake the path of filth.
Please, can you just leave, can you just leave, can you just leave me be?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed She Come by it Natural by Sarah Smarsh (about Dolly) which I got from the library.

    ReplyDelete