Sunday, December 4, 2022

What I Read -- Muddied Oafs: The Last Days of Rugger

Some time ago, Dad gave me this book.  I didn't read it then, but I've been on a big rugby kick (so to speak) lately, watching Premiership rugby first, but really jolted into high gear with the broadcast of the Women's Rugby World Cup (supposed to be played in 2021, but actually played in the last couple of months due to COVID).

I had put this book on my list for the 2022 Reading Challenge, under the category of "Around or Out of this World (set in a country other than where you live, or by an author from another country, or set in space or on another planet)" (which was supposed to be read in July, but no matter).  When all this other rugby came into my life, it seemed like the opportune moment, even though it was November.

If one is willing to allow an author of a semi-autobiographical, semi-historical book about his own history in a sport, this is a pretty good one.  It does talk about the sport itself, the history of it, how it changed over time and how it's different in different parts of the UK (with a little bit of continental Europe sneaking in there as well).  But it also is a reminisce through his own years of playing.  As a former rugger myself, I was more than willing to indulge the stories of his glory days.  Non-ruggers may not be so generous, which I completely understand.  If you haven't done it, it doesn't quite hold the same allure.  But if you have, it's worth perusing if only because it helps you remember your own good fun from those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment