Sunday, January 8, 2023

2023 Reading Challenge

K and I are in it for another year of reading!  (It helps to have a buddy.)  I'm sticking with the same rules that I have previously identified for my picks:

1. It has to be a book I already owned;
2. It has to be a book I had not read yet (or at least haven't finished yet);
3. Though I can go out of order, some of the months are clearly themed (e.g., February, December), so I will try to read those books at least close to the month they are selected for; and
4. As with last year, I had initially planned to carry over some books from last year, but didn't.  But it remains a possibility for the future.

Here's the list that we picked for the year, as well as my selections:

January: a book with a "home" word in the title
House of Sand and Fog, by Andre Dubus III

February: a book with red on the cover or spine
Our Own Devices, by Edward Tenner

March: a book recommended by a friend
The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls, by Anton DiScalfani

April: a book with at least five words in the title
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers

May: a book you should have read in high school
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley

June: a book with an animal on the cover
Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know, by Alexandra Horowitz

July: a book that starts with the first letter of your first name
Morning Poems, by Robert Bly

August: a book in a series
Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon

September: a translated book
If On a Winter's Night A Traveler, by Italo Calvino (translated from Italian)

October: a book set in a country other than your own
Ali & Nino, by Kurban Said

November: a book with a night scene on the cover
After Henry, by Joan Didion

December: a book with a winter element on the cover
Solo Faces, by James Salter

I have to say that I didn't pick many short books or gimmes this year.  My shortest book is a book of poetry, which makes for complicated reading in its own right.  It's going to be a tough go to get through this list, but I will give it the old college try.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment