Tuesday, January 24, 2023

House of Sand and Fog -- Take 2

I won't give any specific spoilers, but suffice it to say, House of Sand and Fog is dark.  

Kathy Niccolo, a newly-single recovering addict, loses her house to the county for unpaid taxes.  It's bought at auction by Massoud Behrani, an Iranian immigrant, formerly a colonel in the Iranian military.  It turns out that the tax sale was an error, but Kathy didn't know that because she couldn't be bothered to read her mail.  The third major character is Les Burdon, the police officer who initially puts Kathy out of her house but later can't seem to leave well-enough alone.

The structure is interesting; it's told in the first person from the perspectives of Kathy and Massoud, and third person regarding Les.  This arrangement leaves it open to the reader to pick a side as between Kathy and Massoud.  I know who I picked, and if you read it, I'd be interested to know your selection. 

If you've seen the movie, it it worth watching?

Overall, I didn't love the book though.  I usually don't mind dark material, but this story just had such a miserable, hopeless quality to it that it wasn't terribly enjoyable.  But, despite that, I'm now 1/12 of the way through my 2023 Reading Challenge, so that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment