Saturday, January 6, 2024

2024 Reading Challenge

Never two people to be daunted by a lack of success (I scored a solid D+ in my 2023 Reading Challenge), K and I are again undertaking an annual reading challenge!

Here are this year's categories and the books I've selected to fill them:

January: a book with a one-word title
Andorra, by Peter Cameron

February: a book based on a real event
Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Storm in History, by Erik Larson

March: a book that will stretch you
Love Her Wild, by Atticus

April: a book recommended by a friend
Faster, by Neal Bascomb

May: a book your mom loves
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, by Alexandra Fuller

June: a book about hiking/road tripping
The Ultimate Journey: Canada to Mexico Down the Continental Divide, by Eric and Tim Ryback

July: a book about books
The Library Book, by Susan Orlean

August: a book that has a cover you love
Greyfriars Bobby, by Eleanore Atkinson

September: a book set in an intriguing city
Tangerine, by Christine Mangan

October: a used book
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey

November: a book with an ugly cover
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

December: a book with a number in the title
Three Day Road, by Joseph Boyden

I suppose I shall also apply my usual rules:
1. It has to be a book I already own;
2. It has to be a book I have not read yet (or at least haven't finished yet);
3. Though I can go out of order, some of the months are clearly themed (specifically, May), so I will try to read those books at least close to the month they are selected for; and
4. If I want to include a book I've already listed but didn't read, that's okay.

What I found notable about many of the books I have selected this year is that loads of them could have fit in many categories.  For example, Andorra, Faster, or Tangerine could have been my one-word-title book.  Faster, for that matter, also could have been the August selection, as it has a lovely, artistic cover.  At least nine of the books (possibly more; I can't recall where I acquired a couple of them) are used so could have been the October selection.  At least five of them could have be the February "based on a real event" selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment