Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What I'm Reading Now -- The Perks of Being a Wallflower

This book was recommended to me by C, one of the librarians at the law school. Even though we keep it in the adult fiction at my bookstore, she said it was really more of a teen fiction book, and that it was the last good book she could remember reading. If anybody knows books, it should be a librarian, so I'm taking her advice and reading it myself.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is basically a coming-of-age story. The story follows a boy named Charlie as he navigates high school. What makes this book interesting and different, though, is that Charlie is writing letters to "friend" describing his experiences, so you're seeing everything through Charlie's eyes, rather than an omniscient narrator. Charlie is perceptive and funny, and heartbreakingly honest, and I'm only on page 30.

1 comment:

  1. I read this a long time ago and didn't like it. I'm telling you this so that maybe you'll like it more :)

    Then again, I also hated The Catcher in the Rye. Maybe I'm just not into teenage-boy-coming-of-age stories? I have King Dork on my bookshelf awaiting a read, so I'll let you know how that one goes over.

    ReplyDelete