Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Blinded by the lights

The other day, J and I were driving from Seamus McDaniel's to Ted Drewes. It was after dark, and I was looking out the passenger side window. Most everything was dark, and the lights that were on -- front porch lights and such -- were pretty dim. Then we passed by a small side street, and there was a car sitting a little ways down the street with its headlights on.

I couldn't make myself look away fast enough; before I knew it, I had looked right into the extremely bright headlights. And for just a few seconds, maybe five or ten, I had a splitting headache.

So my question is this: why does that happen? I know that your pupils shrink as the amount of light increases, but is that what makes your head hurt? Or is it the optic nerve?

Well, whatever the answer, it is not fun. So make sure you look away faster than I did!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I find the newish intense-blue LED uber-bright headlights found on certain Japanese and European imports to induce a splitting headache every time I inadvertently get caught looking into them on the road. Normal automotive head-lights do not generate the same reaction. Beyond the rapid contraction of the pupils, do you reckon' the headache may have to do with the frequency and intensity of the light that hits the optic nerve?

    ReplyDelete