Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What I'm Reading Now -- In Other Rooms, Other Wonders

As best as I can tell, In Other Rooms, Other Wonders, the "debut novel" of Deniyal Mueenuddin, is not actually a novel. It seems to be more a collection of short stories with some overlapping characters, a la Olive Kitteridge.

This is another of the books I heard about on NPR which sounded interesting enough for me to give it a try. The author is Pakistani by birth, but attended school in the US. He got his law degree and lived here for some time, as I understand it. He returned to Pakistan to address some issues his family was having with their land. Those encounters provide inspiration for many of the stories (again, as I understand it).

I hope I can finish it in the 2 weeks allowed by the library....

No comments:

Post a Comment