Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Field Trip!

Last Wednesday, S and I played hooky (sp?) from work. Well, we did some work in the morning. We had to go to Hillsboro, to help out a client at the Jefferson County Courthouse. So we decided, since we had to go such a long way in the morning, that we would take the afternoon off and have some fun.

View Larger Map

(Apologies for the poor picture quality -- I didn't have my camera and was using my phone.)

We went to have lunch at Crown Candy Kitchen. I had never been there before! I got The Big Cheese, a four-cheese grilled cheese sandwich, and let me tell you, it was delicious. S got the Heart-Stopping BLT, and we split both. Good move -- you get to taste more that way!

I had heard, however, that the real reason to go to Crown Candy is for the ice cream. I had mine in the form of a chocolate malt, which, despite its enormity, I drank all of! There was quite an extensive "Malts and Shakes" menu; the website doesn't do it justice (and neither did my phone):
(Also they spelled separate wrong!)

From there, we headed downtown to the City Museum, where I had also never been! (It was a big day of firsts.) The museum is basically found objects, made into art/playground. It's hard to understand until you see it, but there's lots of visual excitement, and lots of stuff to climb on. My take on the City Museum is this: you will have the most fun if you either (1) go with a six-year-old, or (2) are willing to act like a six-year-old. I was in the latter group, and it was awesome! (Word to the wise: I would not recommend this museum if you are claustrophobic, because often you find yourself stuck at the end of a tunnel and having to squeeze through a very small space (designed for a six-year-old) in order to come out on the other side.)
These are about an inch across!

There is also an aquarium within the museum, with lots of fish, alligators, lizards, and turtles. This one was quite friendly with the visitors:

And these two were quite friendly with each other!

And, last but not least, there's Bad Eye. We had him in a tank in our office (it's a 110-gallon tank!), but he got too big and was crowding out the other fish. So we paid the City Museum to give him a place to live, and now he's an example to other people: "Don't buy these fish as pets!"

All told, it was a lovely day away from the office, and now I can cross two more things off my lifetime to-do list!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's being up at 2:15 am, but those humping turtles are hilarious. Lol.

    ReplyDelete