Friday, August 20, 2010

Flaco's Cocina

Last night J and I went to Flaco's Cocina for a late dinner. This place is a curiosity to me. I have been there twice now - once for happy hour (on a Tuesday or Wednesday, if I recall correctly), and now for dinner on a Thursday. And both times I've been there, I'm pretty sure there were more employees than there were customers.

The place is tiny - probably 10 small tables, and maybe a dozen bar stools - and it seems like the employees just congregate around the end of the bar and chat. This is not to say that the service was bad or they were ignoring us; it just seems odd to have them all standing around. Although I guess if there aren't that many customers, they probably don't have much to do. Although it's been open for business the entire 3-1/2 years since I discovered it (although I didn't go there for the first time until less than a year ago), so I'd think they have to be making at least a little money, no?

We started out our meal with queso and chips as an appetizer. And the queso? It was real cheese. Not nasty melt-y cheese sauce stuff that came out of a can. But real cheese that had been in the oven (I burned my tongue). The chips were just-greasy-enough house-fried tortilla chips, and were far tastier than the dried-out chips and salsa you get at most places. The fajitas (braised carnitas) were also delicious. We got a portion for two, and it was more than enough for both of us! (However, our waiter said we would get 8 tortillas, and we only got 7. I know this because I can do math. Last night, we each had 2. That makes 4. Today for lunch, I had 2 more. That makes 6. But there's only 1 left. So: 7, not 8.) Maybe the take-away lesson is that people who make good food can't necessarily count. But hey, when you get more food than you can eat in three meals, who the heck cares, really?

1 comment:

  1. I could smell and taste that home-cooked mexican goodness that you described! I might've missed the extra tortilla, though! Good ones are just so GOOD!
    love,
    Mom
    PS love the Scrabble story too!
    PPS Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete