Monday, August 13, 2012

What I Watched -- The Amazing Spider Man

T and I had a low-key but totally great Saturday evening!

First we had a super-grubby but enduringly delicious dinner at Woofie's.  Woofie's until recently was a bit of a mystery to me.  It's not too far away and apparently beloved by St. Louisans, although I've only been there twice now.  Anyway, good dogs.

Then we went to see The Amazing Spider-Man.  Why did we do this?  I don't know.  Who would have thought the world needed another Spider-Man movie?  Not me.  But I'm glad we did.  It doesn't rank quite as high as The Avengers did earlier this summer, but it was totally enjoyable, and I think better than the Spider-Man which came out ten years ago.  Although it's really probably only fair to compare the first of the earlier series with this one, since things went downhill by the time the third one came around.  (Opinions vary on whether the first or second was better, but the third was pretty universally hated.  Yes, that does make four Spider-Man movies in 10 years.  Think we're in need of some heroes among us?)

It's pretty close to a toss-up between Andrew Garfield and Tobey McGuire as Peter Parker.  They're both oddly endearing in their own nerdy ways, but the rest of the cast in the new version was better.  For starters, Emma Stone, who is adorable and likable, is a far superior choice as Gwen than the perpetually mopey Kirsten Dunst (remember Melancholia?).  The Garfield-Stone chemistry seemed to work better, too.  I generally like Denis Leary and his crotchety, grumpy ways so I was happy to see him as Captain Stacy; ditto for Sally Field and Martin Sheen as Aunt May and Uncle Ben.

As for the story, it's just as you would expect.  Giant lizard created by mad scientist, Spider-Man saves the day.  I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that.  Although this time there's a little bit less saving of the girl, which I like!  She's smart and funny and that's good enough.  Go Gwen.

Bottom line: another enjoyable brain-candy summer blockbuster.  Don't expect greatness and you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment