Thursday, August 2, 2012

What I Watched -- Safety Not Guaranteed

I enjoyed this movie.  I like Jake M. Johnson, so that helps.  (I mean, how can you not love someone who plays the adorable dope on a show starring TV's most adorable dope, Zooey Deschanel?)  As for Aubrey Plaza, I am not much of a Parks and Rec watcher, although I understand that is Ms. Plaza's true claim to fame.  She annoyed the heck out of me in this movie though.  I liked her character, but she always had her face down, and would look at other characters out of the very top of her eyes, without ever lifting her head.  I just wanted to yell, "Pick your stupid face up!"

That aside, Safety Not Guaranteed is a cute modern adventure story.  The plot starts with the classified ad: "WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me.  This is not a joke.  You'll get paid after we get back.  Must bring your own weapons.  I have only done this once before.  SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED."  A magazine reporter (Johnson) with an ulterior motive offers to investigate, with every intention of sending an intern (Plaza) to do the work.

She does, and gets more involved in the scheme than anyone ever intended.  But just when you think everyone in the story really is crazy, it turns out there might be something there.

Bottom line: an unexpected reminder to focus on appreciating what you have now.

1 comment: