Thursday, November 1, 2012

Brooklyn, U.S.A. -- Meet Sandy

Due to the impending hurricane, plans changed a little bit for Saturday.  E and I met D for brunch at Miriam, this cute little Israeli spot in Park Slope.  (First I went running, so I could feel especially satisfied when I cleaned my plate.)  E and I did a bit of wandering around Brooklyn after that, and stopped off at the Grand Army farmers' market, then the Brooklyn Public Library to see their exhibit on fashion illustration.  Then it was time for E to pack her things and head home for good!  (Shed a tear.)

After she left, I met my friend L and some others (I actually met someone who works in costume design - she had been busy all day working on Christmas outfits for the Rockettes!) for drinks and dinner.  We went high class with the drinks at a place in Chinatown called Apotheke.  Then we went low class with the food at Great N.Y. Noodletown.  Typical - kinda shady-looking dive with delicious food.

Sunday, things went haywire.  As far as I knew, I was still on a flight out on Monday, so I had breakfast at home and headed off to the Frick - my favorite NYC museum and one of the things I had yet to do this time!   After that, my plan was to go to yoga in Tribeca, then home to pack.

[As an aside, The Economist has a quarterly journal they call Intelligent Life, which recently had an ode to the Frick.  Great read.]

I was on the way to the Frick when I got word that the city was going to begin a system-wide shut-down of all public transit beginning at 7:00 that night.  Okay, that doesn't mess me up too much.  I was about two thirds of the way through the galleries when I got a text message that my flight had been cancelled.  Ruh roh.  Let the craziness commence.

Turns out, it was a good thing that E and I ended up eating out so much, because we still had a fridge full of food!

When my Monday morning flight got cancelled, I got moved to a flight Tuesday afternoon.  There was really never any hope of that flight actually leaving.  When that one was cancelled, I was on a flight Wednesday morning.  Then that one got cancelled, and now we're looking at Friday - if, that is, La Guardia can dry itself out.

So, about Hurricane Sandy.  The good news (though it makes for boring reading), is that I really don't have much to tell you.  Where I am it got awfully windy but hardly rained at all.  My power didn't go out.  I still have water.  Aside from the inability to go anywhere due to the subway closures, it's oddly underwhelming.  I'm just watching a lot of TV (Homeland? Check.) and reading the news constantly.  As B (who lives a few blocks from E's place) said when I texted to ask if he was okay: "Yep. Almost perversely so.  Feels weird to have power and water when Manhattan is basically floating away."  Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want to look at some pretty amazing pictures of the storm though, The Atlantic has a couple of galleries on their website that are a good compilation of the early and later stages of the disaster.  (Remember when L and I went to Cape May in early September.  This is what it looks like now.)

I did venture out Tuesday afternoon to see what I could see, and I got a few shots, but nothing too spectacular:
 
I could say that I wish I had more interesting things to share, but really I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment