Friday, November 9, 2012

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox -- Take 2

I finished up listening to The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox while I was opening mystery boxes this week - there were many, many hours of that.  And I have to say, I didn't love it. 

It has a number of things in common with The Thirteenth Tale, which I listened to a few months ago.  It's a book about sisters.  There is a third party in the mix.  That third party is on the trail of some long-hidden mystery.

I thought this one lacked the moral complexity of The Thirteenth Tale, plus, it was not a great book to listen to on audio.  It changes point of view throughout, and more and more frequently the closer to the climax you get.  But there's no indication of the change except a pause or break.  Sometimes it's in the middle of the sentence, but it still takes a little bit to realize that it's a new character, not just that the current character was interrupted mid-thought by someone else.  I'm not sure how it's handled in the book, or if it's any clearer.

Anyway, it was decent-enough entertainment for unpacking, but not destined to become a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment