Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Quote of the Day

Lots of people ask me what's so great about living in the city.  Where do I begin?  There's the convenience of having most everything close by, not needing a car to get everywhere, proximity to cultural hot spots, a slew of restaurants to choose from, etc.  And the people.

It's funny, I'm really not what you would consider a "people person."  And for as much as I love the density and the crowds, I don't go out around my condo very often.  But I like that I can.  I like that there will be people there if I walk out my door.  I like watching out my window.  And I really like how one of my favorite anonymous bloggers summed up the view from her new downtown condo:

"I watched a man eat dinner alone in a café. I marveled at the Fedex delivery woman’s long, hot pink manicure—was she new to the job and didn’t know it would chip on the first day, or did she just not give a rat’s ass? I sniggered at drunk people wobbling by on bikes. I wait for people engrossed in their iPhones to crash into one another on the sidewalk.

There are happy people, lonely people, angry people, rich people, poor people, people with nothing to do, people in a hurry. The view is a liquid storyline, and I can’t seem to get enough.

The earth below is a treasure trove of things to see, and I soak it up daily with absolute gratitude. Every passerby is a puzzle and vignette, an amuse bouche of a larger, more mysterious story."

No comments:

Post a Comment