Monday, October 7, 2013

Seattle

Many moons ago, I allowed the folks at Delta Airlines to transport me to Seattle.  I was on my way out to visit J, who had the monumental task of moving ahead of him.  This move was especially exciting, because he was moving into his own brand new house!

I have virtually no pictures from this trip, because we were busy moving things the whole time I was there, but I'll give a verbal recap.

I arrived late morning on Thursday, and we got right to work packing up the rest of J's apartment.  We had quite a time trying to maneuver the moving van through the narrow Seattle streets, and we managed to get a parking ticket in the meantime, but we got the furniture loaded up and moved!  And much to my delight, I discovered that the leasing office at his apartment kept a handy stock of cookies, orange soda, and coffee at the ready.  Those came in handy when I was running out of steam!  We finally broke for dinner at a Mexican restaurant called Cactus, and it was all the deliciousness I needed after a hard day of work.

There was more moving to be done on Friday, so we got up early to pack up the rest of the boxes.  There was a lot of rushing around, since the major appliance delivery was scheduled to happen at J's house between 10 and noon.  We dashed out of the apartment with the last few boxes we could carry around 9:45, and it was on the way back to the apartment that J got a call informing him that the fridge had been damaged in shipment and that they didn't have one of the pieces they needed for the stacking washer/dryer units.  So, no appliances after all.

No worries though.  I used my unexpected free time by going for a run and relaxing a bit before we headed off to the Klondike Gold Rush Museum. It was actually pretty neat, and I learned a bit about Seattle's growth as a jumping-off point for the intrepid gold hunters.  When we finished filling our brains with info at the museum, we wandered a bit and ended up at Zig Zag Cafe for dinner.  I was delighted by the cocktail menu and had something with a clever name which starred a delightful apricot liqueur.  As if that wasn't interesting enough, dinner was a camel burger with pickled fruits of various sorts.  The burger was a tad dry, but it was a worthwhile experience.

Unfortunately, due to the late hour, the Pike Place Market was closed, so we found an ice cream shop and enjoyed our dessert spoils while taking in the view of the bay.  All in all, a lovely evening.

Saturday morning I slept in, then headed to Portage Bay for brunch.  We had to deliver our leftovers to J's apartment since the fridge never got delivered to his house, and then we headed off to Pioneer Square.  We were going to go on the Seattle Underground tour, but unfortunately it was sold out.  Instead we wandered around shopping, and finished it off with the most epic trip to Bed Bath & Beyond ever.  J had a fancy new house, and he needed to stock up on supplies.

We headed to dinner at a great little spot that was recommended to me called Oddfellows (where I also went the last time I was in Seattle).  And what's even better, my friend M came out to meet us!  We had delicious food and tasty cocktails, and it was a fabulous evening.  One of the best things about Oddfellows is that it's right next door to Elliot Bay Books, which is so great! I didn't buy any books because I'm already overwhelmed by unread pages, but they do have an impressive collection of greeting cards and I bought most of them. Oh, and there was more ice cream for dessert of course!

Sunday started with another run, which was followed by brunch at Madame Toulouse (which, incidentally, has delicious [breakfast] cocktails - are we noticing a pattern here?).  We were super touristy and went to the Pike Place market, then headed back for the not-yet-sold-out underground tour.  And you know what?  The tour was fascinating!  I learned all about the development of Seattle (stuff I didn't learn at the gold rush museum), including why there's a story of all those buildings below ground.  Did you know that?  I didn't - but now I know why it's there!  Want to know? Go on the tour - or read about it here. Dinner was at a huge but weirdly-hard-to-find place called The Pink Door, and then I got completely and totally hooked on House of Cards before heading to the airport for an unfortunate redeye back to St. Louis.  Although I have to say that I planned well for the flight - I had a hot pink pashmina so I could stay warm/cover my eyes, and headphones so I could block out the noise.  I managed to stay awake the entire next day at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment