Wednesday, March 5, 2014

12 Years a Slave

12 Years a Slave won the Academy Award for Best Picture.  I don't think I ever wrote about it, but I did actually see this movie.  I didn't like it much.  Maybe that's why I didn't write about it.

I do like to say the name Chiwetel Ejiofor though, so maybe I should write.

The aforementioned Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Solomon Northup, a free black man who is captured and sold into slavery for -- you guessed it -- 12 years.  Clever title, eh?  He wants to get home.  The whole thing is unjust.

Okay, we get that.  It's not that it wasn't unjust.  It's not that this didn't really happen (actually based on a true story).  It's just that I'm sort of tired of these movies.  That's all.

Bottom line: too much introspection for a story you've heard a hundred times.  There were better options to win the Oscar.  Like, probably, any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment