Friday, June 6, 2014

What I Watched -- Before Sunset

It took me forever to get around to watching this movie.  I probably had it for two months before I finally gave it the attention it deserved.

I'm not sure why it took me so long.  For starters, it's a short movie (running time: 80 minutes), so it wasn't much of a commitment.  Second, I enjoyed Before Sunrise when I watched it not too long ago.  And finally, I started this whole Ethan-and-Julie project because I wanted to see the newest movie in the trilogy, Before Midnight.  I've already seen the first two (years ago, both), but my whole goal here is to remind myself of the details so I can get to the new one.

The movie is filmed essentially in real time, which adds a sense of immediacy to what is otherwise a plotless story.  We've picked up our same two characters from Sunrise nine years later.  They meet again, the chemistry is still there, and the next 75 minutes are like enjoying a conversation with old friends: easy, rangy, pleasant.

Bottom line: simple but elegant.

1 comment:

  1. I love this series. I'll be curious to hear what you think about Before Midnight.

    ReplyDelete