Monday, June 30, 2014

Tarzan

In my first adventure at The Muny in a couple of years, I went to see Tarzan last night.  E and I were enjoying her last afternoon here at the Saucy Soiree (more on that later) when I got a call from P inquiring whether I would like to go see the show with her that very evening.  Luckily, the timing worked out just right -- after running E to the airport, I met P at the Muny and we got our butts in our seats just minutes before showtime.

I have never seen any of the Tarzan incarnations or iterations that have been floating around in the last several decades.  Apparently this production was based on the moderately recent Disney movie, but I have no idea whether that is substantially similar to all the previous productions or not.  I would imagine so, but I'm pulling that idea out of nowhere.

The show was light and fun, with a number of lovely duets and some excellent work by the child actors.  The woman who played Jane Porter, Kate Rockwell, had a lovely voice, and Ken Page (famous for his work in The Nightmare Before Christmas) played her father.

And thankfully it was short!

I checked my phone during intermission to discover that E's flight out was cancelled!  The minute the show was over, before the curtain call for the actors, P and I dashed out to our cars so we could beat the traffic rush and I could get back to the airport to rescue E from an overnight of unfortunately George-Clooney-in-Up-In-the-Air-less lounging and pacing of the airport terminals.  Whew!

1 comment: