Thursday, August 7, 2014

Congrats, M&M!

About a month ago, I ventured up to the shores of Lake Michigan to celebrate the marriage of my best friend from college.
I had an early flight to Milwaukee on Saturday morning and was in my rental car by 10:30 or so.  Festivities started around 6 that evening, so before I headed up to their little town, I decided to cruise around the city and see what I could find.  What I found was the Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear, a wacky museum portraying daily life in the Milwaukee area in the interbellum years.


I could probably cook on that.

 
The old grocery store.

A vintage cash register at the pharmacy.

From there I headed up the shore to help out with wedding prep, since I still had a few free hours.  The festivities were on the beach at M's cottage, which was a lovely setting perfect for their party!



The path to the beach.

The bar!
 

A thick fog rolled in for several hours in the afternoon.

What with all the lush greenery and the inability to see more than 20 feet, I felt like I was in Ireland!

Looking back at the cottage.
 
The happy couple (tired of smiling)!




The mothers of the brides, giving their toasts.
 


There were only two of these very stylish glasses available for all the guests, and I got a pair!


Dancing on the beach!  No one seemed to mind the rain a bit.

The party was great fun, and was followed by some much-needed bacon and eggs back at the cottage the following morning.  We did a bit of clean-up, then I headed back to Milwaukee for one last thing I wanted to see before I hit the airport.

I just barely caught the final tour of the day at the Pabst Mansion, former home of Captain Frederick Pabst and his family.  It is well restored, with some replica pieces but lots of originals throughout the house.  Unfortunately you can't take any pictures inside, so the best I have for you are some outdoor shots.  There are some interior pictures online.




It was a stunning place.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I was wondering if you made it to the Pabst Mansion after your last letter.

    ReplyDelete