Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What I Watched -- Girl Rising

I honestly don't even remember where or when I heard about Girl Rising, but one day a few weeks ago, I got a notification from the library that it had arrived and was on hold for me.  Before going to pick it up, I couldn't have told you what it was about.

What it is about is girls (as the title might suggest).  It's a moving documentary about the condition of individual girls around the world, and the power of an education.  None of this is new or news, but it is worthwhile to be reminded of what some people have to do or overcome to achieve what so many of us take for granted every day.  And it is astonishing to be reminded how little girls are worth, even today, in some parts of this world.  Truly remarkable.

Each of the nine girls comes from a different troubled country: Cambodia, Haiti, Nepal, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Peru, Sierra Leone, and Afghanistan.  Some of their stories have happy endings; some do not.  But each girl, as the DVD cover says, is a revolution in her own small way.

Bottom line: a story that needs to be told -- and realized.

1 comment:

  1. I want to watch this one! My library has it. I'll try to pick it up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete