Monday, July 20, 2015

My Fair Lady and Buddy

P has been kind enough to invite me to two Muny shows this season, and they have both been so much fun -- and more importantly, not too miserably hot!

First up was an old classic, My Fair Lady. Every time I see this show, I am surprised that there is a second act.  The entire premise which is set out at the beginning of the show -- that Professor Higgins will pass off Eliza Doolittle as a lady at an embassy ball -- occurs in the first act.  All the songs I love to sing are in the first act.  So, much to my surprise, the show does not end at intermission.

There is an entire second act which follows!  As far as I'm concerned, it pales in comparison to the first.  Sure, the real heart of the show is in the second act.  But the fun is in the first one!  Nevertheless, always an enjoyable experience.

Show the second was a new one on me: Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story. Prior to the show, the extent of my knowledge about Buddy Holly was that he died in a plane crash with some other musicians.

Now that I've seen the show, I know a few more things: Buddy was only 22 when he died; the other musicians were Ritchie Valens (age 17) and J.P. Richardson (aka "The Big Bopper); Buddy's meteoric rise to fame only lasted a couple of years; I know more of his music than I realized; Buddy married a girl to whom he proposed while they were out on their first date.

This show was especially fun because it was really just a concert of 1950s rock music.  What's not to love?

1 comment: