Monday, July 27, 2015

What I Watched -- A Separation

A Separation got lots of Oscar buzz in the year it came out, and in fact won the statuette for best foreign language film.  The scene that I saw in all the previews, where an Iranian wife is asking for a divorce from her husband, actually happens right at the beginning -- that's not the big conflict of the movie, as it turns out.  It felt a bit like false advertising to discover that the true legal issue in the film is a criminal one; the husband is accused of pushing a woman (not his wife) down the stairs, causing a miscarriage. 

I was distracted while I was watching this, and it is subtitled, which is not a good combination.  But it is at heart a simple story of a marriage falling apart, for reasons we know and reasons we don't.

Bottom line: not something I would call enjoyable, but worth seeing if you're into the film festival movies.  Otherwise, skip it.  It's a bit depressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment