Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Martian -- Take 2

I'm declaring The Martian to be a success.

I am also, perhaps surprisingly, declaring Overdrive to be a success.

The success of the former is without reservation. The book is funny, smart, and all-around entertaining. Even having seen the movie and knowing how it ends, it was still suspenseful. Plus I was thinking of my boyfriend Matt Damon the whole time I read it, so that's a bonus.

The success of the latter is qualified. It was nice to have a book always at my fingertips. I chose wisely, though I didn't know it at the time, with The Martian.

I think many books aren't suited for the type of e-reading that I do, which is extremely periodic. This book was great because it's not too serious in terms of requiring deep thought. Additionally, it's largely written as a journal, so there are stopping point aplenty.  As I discussed with K when she was in town last week, this format does not, at least for us, lend itself to an intense reading experience.

So, that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment