Wednesday, April 19, 2017

What I Watched -- Hacksaw Ridge

There was a lot about Hacksaw Ridge that seemed overdone, overacted, or otherwise overly theatrical to me.  One thing that was awesome, though, was the story.  And it's a true story.

It's Desmond Doss's story.  He was a conscientious objector during WWII.  After the Army failed to run him out, he trained as a medic and was sent to Okinawa. After a brutal battle trying to take a ridge (Hacksaw Ridge, you might not be surprised to learn), the company fell back to the beach to await artillery strikes and reinforcements.  Desmond elected to stay, and the bravery and heroism he displayed was, assuming the events of the film are true, incredible.

There is a documentary about the whole event, which S has seen but I have not.  I think it's now on my list.

Bottom line: gruesome, but inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment