Tuesday, April 17, 2018

What I Read -- The Unspeakable

As part of our postal book club rotation, I read The Unspeakable. It's a collection of essays which are supposedly not autobiographical, though they sure seem that way.  Although at the end of it, I still don't have a very good picture of who Meghan Daum is, so maybe they're not autobiographical after all.

One thing they do seem is removed.  Daum has an almost eerie ability to review and explain either her own life or the imaginary life of some made-up character, in words that, though not simple, make so much sense.  They make all the strange emotions she explains seem so obvious and natural.

Taken as a whole, this is a good collection.  Though a lot of the subject matter is tough, it is readable.  I got through it quickly, although I would have been happy to spend more time with it than I did.  I may go back and check out her earlier collection, My Misspent Youth, when I feel the need for some more essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment