Friday, August 24, 2018

The Language of Children

My friend L said something to me the other day in passing, which didn't catch my attention at the time.  We were having a very adult conversation about the pros and cons of bar shampoo (as opposed to liquid), and she commented that she and her husband tried bar shampoo because "the kids use a lot of shampoo, for potions and stuff."  Sure, they're kids.  Kids do that kind of thing.

But the next day, for some reason, the word "potion" came back to me.  As an adult, when was the last time (excepting your most recent Macbeth study group) that you used the word "potion" in regular speech?

I started thinking about it.  What about the word tattle?  How often do adults still do that to one another, even though we never use that taboo word anymore?  Monster, yucky, magic....  There are loads of nifty words that fall out of the lexicon as we age.  Which ones should we bring back?

1 comment:

  1. I like this post! I think grody should be on the list.

    ReplyDelete