Saturday, August 11, 2018

What I Watched -- The 40-Year-Old Virgin

My relationship with Steve Carell's comedy is similar to my relationship with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  They don't sound particularly appetizing when I just think about them, but then as soon as I have one, I remember how good they are.  As with Steve Carell.  When I think about his acting, I think, "Eh.  He's okay, but I'm not a huge fan."  But when I look back at what I've seen of his, with the exception of Anchorman, I like it: The Big Short, Foxcatcher, The Office, Crazy Stupid Love, Little Miss Sunshine, and even Bruce Almighty

And, perhaps not surprisingly when I look at how much of his other stuff I liked, The 40-Year-Old Virgin.  His dopey, slow humor is perfect for the dopey, slow character.  When his co-workers at the electronics store discover that he's a virgin, they make it their mission to find him a woman.  The movie is drastically improved, in my mind, by the inclusion of Paul Rudd in the cast, whom I adore.

Fun fact: way back in the day, Steve Carell was in Curly Sue, but I don't remember his role in it, so I can't comment on whether I liked it or not.

Bottom line: goofy fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment