Thursday, October 25, 2018

Inspector Singh Investigates: A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree -- Take 2

The nice thing about murder mysteries is that they're easy to read.  Sometimes a little too easy; I just want to get to the end even when I should be doing other things.  But books like that are nice sometimes, especially if you just need to give yourself a proverbial kick in the reading pants.

So it was with Inspector Singh.  Reasonably compelling, fairly well-written.  I was especially fond of some of the more European turns of phrase that were sprinkled throughout.  (The author - and the titular inspector - are from Singapore, which began its life as a British colony.)  It wasn't terribly surprising, but it was interesting enough to keep me reading.

Most importantly, it carried a flavor of the place -- that's what I was really looking for.  How accurate of a flavor it is, I can't say just yet.  But it certainly was a flavor.  And the good Inspector Singh's fondness for curry sure did make me hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment