Wednesday, January 9, 2019

So Many Movies!

S and I went to Cambodia for our honeymoon.  More on that someday, I hope.  But before I get to all the trip details, a little bit about the many, many movies (plus a bit of TV) I watched on the plane rides there and back.  Props to Singapore Airlines for having quite a selection!  We had lots of time in the air with personal TVs: San Francisco to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Singapore, and Singapore to San Francisco.  Here's a quick summary of what I watched on the flight to Asia:

Ocean's 8: a fun, girl-centric, star-studded version of Ocean's 11.  Totally worth spending a couple of hours enjoying.









Notes on a Scandal: a complete change of pace from Ocean's 8 -- a psychological thriller, dark and disturbing.








 
Dr. Strange: after Notes, I needed something a little lighter.  I turned to the Marvel universe, aided by Benedict Cumberbatch, whom I adore.  It was a good pick.









Tazzeka: I turned to foreign creations for the closing hours of our flights.  Tazzeka tells the story of a Moroccan boy with a talent for cooking, which he learned from his grandmother.  He leaves for Europe, inspired by a girl he met, and learns things he never expected.







The Great British Bake-Off: I didn't have enough time to watch another movie, so I picked up an episode or two of The Great British Bake-Off, which I am now obsessed with.  Two things I love!







And on the flight home:

The Meg: An action movie got the return flight started.  The Meg wasn't a great film, but Jason Statham is always grumpily amusing, and I very much enjoyed Ruby Rose's turn in this one.








Puzzle: It was pretty much impossible for me not to watch Puzzle, once I discovered it in the directory.  It tells the story of an underappreciated suburban housewife who discovers a love and talent for jigsaw puzzles, which take her to some unexpected places.







 
All the Wild Horses: Have you heard about the 1000-mile horse race across the Mongolian plains?  I hadn't either.  This doc will give you the details, and totally engage you for the duration.








Isle of Dogs: I feel about Isle of Dogs the same way I feel about Wall-E -- the first half to two-thirds was amusing and enjoyable, the last bit, I could have done without.



Sharp Objects: To be fair, I didn't get quite all the way through HBO's Sharp Objects; I had to shut it off with about 20 minutes to go.  I had been through the tense bits, though; I don't think I missed much, especially since I had read the book.  For what's it's worth, I liked both the Sharp Objects book and visual version better than Gone Girl.






In addition to all of that watching, we also got through a couple of things that S downloaded onto his tablet.

Black Mirror: we watched two episodes of this Netflix show, which is weird and confusing but somehow engaging.  It's a little bit like watching a train wreck -- you just have to look because you're so horrified by what you might see.








Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable: I don't want to say too much about this for fear of spoiling anything -- but I recommend that you watch it before you google it, or you'll spoil some of the fun.









And this doesn't even cover the slew of movies we saw at SLIFF (although we missed out on several days of it due to my nasty illness).  Those films to follow!

2 comments:

  1. So which ones were your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great British Bake-Off is the clear winner. I'm still watching Black Mirror, mostly because it freaks me out. For movies, All the Wild Horses and Ocean's 8.

      Delete