Tuesday, January 28, 2020

What I Watched -- Don't F**k With Cats

Don't F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer has gotten a lot of press.  When I first saw the trailer for it, I expected that it would generate chatter, as all true crime stories tend to do, but I forgot about it until I had some time to surf through Netflix when I was on vacation.

It's a bit frustrating to watch because the editing is terrible.  There is so much manufactured drama in the interviews!  I had to wonder how many times the interviewers had to ask the subjects, "Can you explain it again, but slower and with more unnecessary detail?"

***SPOILER ALERT***

It was interesting (and also creepy) to see what a group of computer nerds with time to spare can do, but it all comes to nothing until the killer is caught the good old fashioned way by an unsuspecting witness who called the police.  Only after the police independently identify the killer is there actually any connection between the internet nerds and the actual murder investigation.

It is true that the nerds tried to alert the police prior to the murder that they anticipated something would happen, but they got no traction.  (Comments on this issue reserved for later discussion.)

***SPOILERS OVER***

It was interesting to see the whole thing play out, but -- I'm not going to lie -- it was a bit of a letdown at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment