Thursday, February 25, 2021

What I Read -- Things Fall Apart

I knocked out my February book for my 2021 reading challenge right on schedule.  Things Fall Apart was the debut novel of Chinua Achebe.  It was first published in 1958, so is among the older of the books I have read lately.

It's not a complicated plot.  The main character, Okonkwo, is a prominent warrior in an African clan.  We meet him as an adolescent, as he establishes himself as different from (and, as he believes, better than) his lazy father.  We catch up with him periodically throughout his life, both in his own village and elsewhere.  We meet his wives, his children, and his friends.  Through his opinions of all these people, we learn what matters to him.

I don't want to comment too much about the plot, except to say that the personal characteristics he demonstrates throughout his life are central to the choices he makes in the last third of the book.  And it is, to quote K, "heartbreaking."

No comments:

Post a Comment