Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Breckenridge

My whirlwind February (yes, last month) began with a shorter-than-planned trip to Breckenridge.  But it was fun nonetheless!

Headed for the mountains!
 
I arrived on Friday after catching the early flight to Denver.  We headed off to pick up some skis and hit the slopes for the afternoon -- no sense in wasting time!  When we sat down for dinner, I discovered what the wonderful smell was that had been permeating the house all day: red beans and rice for dinner.  It was delicious and extremely filling, and it put us all directly to sleep.

In the couple of years since Peak 6 was opened for skiing, somehow I have never made it over there.  We remedied that by heading straight there on Saturday morning.  We didn't quite get what we bargained for:


It was just a wee bit foggy.

We had a slow start on Sunday, lazing around a bit before heading out to ski the late morning and early afternoon.  Some of that lazing included a trip into town for coffee and pastries, and to see the ice sculptures.  Some of my favorites:



Don Quixote

Gepetto


This is the front and back of the one we all agreed should have one, but it didn't.  (The one that did win was so weird and abstract and boring that I didn't even take a picture of it.)



The slopes were WAY more crowded than normal for Super Bowl Sunday (maybe due to the gorgeous sunshine), but it did lighten up eventually.  We skied as long as we could before we had to set off for our Super Bowl party with G and M.  I have never been to a party where there was so much food per capita, and everything was delicious!  Meats and cheese from all the land, little skewer caprese salads, fruit, veggies and dip, chips and cheese sauce, little puff-pastry-wrapped hot dogs -- and those are just the appetizers!  There were also kobe burgers and chili mac for dinner, brownies and ice cream for dessert!  When I think back about it, I am still amazed at how much I was able to consume, regardless of how many hours I spread it over.  It was incredible!

Because no trip anywhere is complete without some shopping, we managed to squeeze that in at the tail end.  We drove down to Denver on Monday and did some directed wandering around the home goods shops in Cherry Creek: Room and Board, Arhaus, and HW Home.

Dad drove me to the airport a bit early for two reasons: to avoid traffic and so I could try to squeeze in a GOES interview.  The process of getting in to get my interview was so tortured and unfortunate (yes, we pay these people's salaries) that I won't even recount it.  But eventually it happened, I passed the test, and I headed home.

1 comment:

  1. I got to see the sculptures this year, too! Woohoo! And glad you passed your inter. ("What's an inter?")

    ReplyDelete