Tuesday, March 17, 2015

What I Watched -- The Theory of Everything

I don't even remember how long ago it was now, but T and I watched The Theory of Everything on his fancy TV.

Theory was nominated for five Oscars this year, and had one win: leading actor (winner), leading actress, picture, original score, and adapted screenplay.  That's a pretty impressive collection of nods, no matter how you measure it.  And while I certainly believe that Eddie Redmayne deserved his win (truly, he was incredible), somehow I was left at the end of the movie feeling a little dull.  All those pieces didn't add up to a movie I loved.  I'm not sure why.  It just wasn't all there for me.  I was bored.

As T commented, it was impossible to get to the end of the movie and not feel that Stephen Hawking's wife Jane was a saint.  Indeed, the movie was based on Jane's book, Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen Hawking.  Coincidence?  Perhaps not.  This is not to say that her sacrifices for the benefit of his career weren't heroic in their own quiet right, but nobody is that angelic.

Bottom line: more of an Oscar-bait success than a movie success, but neither was it a total waste of three hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment