Friday, October 23, 2009

What I'm Reading Now -- Lush Life

I don't read much in the way of mystery novels; I'm just not typically crazy about the whodunnits. This one is a bit of a genre-buster, though, in that the reader knows who killed the guy right from the beginning. What I suspect will make it an interesting read is that you get to learn about all the characters through the eyes of the detective investigating the murder, so it's a little bit less like your standard caper fiction. Or at least so it seems. I'm about 40 pages in, and I'm enjoying it so far.

It's set in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and there are a lot of location-specific references. They're fun, but would probably be more meaningful if I knew the area better. It's also more dialogue-heavy than a lot of the books I've read recently, so there's lots of cop slang and other character-specific language that I have to get used to. But so far, enjoyable. And it's the first adult book I've read in a while, so I think that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment