Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What I'm Reading Now -- What I Know Now

Haha, that makes for a funny post title.

Anyway, my mom's friend J gave me this book when I passed the bar. It's a collection of letters from some truly amazing women -- Madeleine Albright, Ann Curry, Noor Al Hussein, Phylicia Rashad, Beverly Sills, and Trisha Yearwood, among many others -- to their younger selves. I'm reading it one letter at a time, so I've only covered the introduction and the first handful of letters, but they are really great.

One of the things that the editor points out in the introduction is how open these women were, regarding some of the more personal and private moments in their lives, and she's right. Maya Angelou, for example, talks to her younger self who left home in September 1945, just months after graduating from high school, and caring for her 2-month-old son.

It's some pretty good stuff, and was a wonderful gift idea.

2 comments:

  1. Can I borrow when you're done? I'm reading Girl with a Pearl Earring and it is really good so far. Maybe we can trade if you haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you may borrow it. I've already read "Girl with a Pearl Earring," and I loved it! I somehow ended up with two copies of it, so I gave one to a friend of mine a couple weeks after I read it. I think it was probably about 2 years ago. Good stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete