Friday, November 26, 2010

The Song I'm Loving Today

The Book of Love (Peter Gabriel)

This is another one from a movie I watched, this time it's from Shall We Dance. I guess that's a good thing about movies; other than the entertainment you get from watching the movie, sometimes you also find cool new songs. I was watching Shall We Dance while I was working out, so I had subtitles on to make it easier to understand what was happening. The subtitles said "Book of Love - Peter Gabriel" right on the screen - how handy is that? Then you don't even have to watch the tiny-print credits at the end and try to pause it in the right spot to see what the song is!

The song was written by a band called The Magnetic Fields and released on their album 69 Love Songs. Their version is linked to the song title, above. But I like the Peter Gabriel remake better, so a still-photo mash-up of his version is below.

The song itself is actually sort of odd if you listen to the lyrics, but I love its slow, melancholy yet satisfied sort of quality.



The book of love is long and boring,
No one can lift the damn thing.
It's full of charts and facts and figures,
And instructions for dancing.

But I, I love it when you read to me.
And you, you can read me anything.

The book of love is full of music,
In fact that's where music comes from.
Some of it's just transcendental,
Most of it is just really dumb.

But I, I love it when you sing to me.
And you, you can sing me anything.

The book of love is long and boring,
And written very long ago.
It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes,
And things we're all too young to know.

But I, I love it when you give me things,
And you, you ought to give me wedding rings.
And I, I love it when you give me things,
And you, you ought to give me wedding rings.
You ought to give me wedding rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment