Sunday, November 7, 2010

What I Watched -- Invictus

I've been wanting to see Invictus since it came out. It's a rugby movie, and I played rugby, so how could I not? They don't make many rugby movies! (Although, in the interest of full disclosure, it took me about three years after Murderball came out to see it, and it's a rugby movie also.)

So I guess how long it took me get around to watching Invictus, is not really the point. The point is that eventually, I did. And it's one of those classicly inspiring sports stories, except that this one has racial and political overtones. Race has been done before: The Hurricane, Remember the Titans (interestingly, both starring Denzel Washington). Heck, even Bring it On was about race. Race is always political, but there are few movies which tie national politics and sports together so closely - at least not that I can come up with off the top of my head. (I'm sure some of you have ideas though! Please comment!)

Which brings us to the plot, in case you don't know it. Picture this: it's the mid 1990s in South Africa. Nelson Mandela has recently been elected president. Apartheid is a not-so-distant memory. Rugby is, for all intents and purposes, a white man's game - and the team is terrible. The nation is not united; deep racial distrust still permeates political offices and stadium bleachers. Amid these divisions, Mandela sees an opportunity. The 1995 World Cup would be in South Africa, the President seizes on rugby as the one thing which everyone can rally around. Thanks to the good sense of team captain Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon) and the dedication of the entire Springbok team, Mandela and the South African rugby fans cheer their team to success which astonished the world.

So. Great story. Acting? Not so great. Everyone knows I have a crush on Matt Damon, and even I have to say that this is not his best movie. In fairness, though, I watched some of the special features, and he actually does a good job portraying Pienaar as he really is. It's just that how Pienaar really is is awkward and somewhat halting of speech, which does not make for a great movie. And it seems as though Freeman did a good job portraying the actual Mandela (based on videos I've seen), although his slow, soft-spoken nature isn't great for film either. But, it is what it is. Can't change the real people, and kudos to Clint Eastwood for sticking to his guns in the form of an accurate portrayal.

Bottom line: Matt Damon fans should watch. Rugby fans should definitely watch. Actually, sports fans should definitely watch. If you're indifferent as a general statement, let your mood be your guide. If you don't like sports, um, why are you still reading?

1 comment: