Thursday, June 23, 2011

52 Weeks of Dresses - Week 9

Otherwise titled (somewhat belatedly): Happy Father's (or Fathers') Day!

The day started out with family brunch - grandparents, Uncle P, cousins K, A, and M, and sister K.  We chowed down on some serious (although somewhat slow-to-arrive) eats, and generally had

Then just for kicks, T and I went to an open house on Portland Place.  Portland Place, and its neighbor, Westmoreland, are two of the loveliest streets in all of St. Louis.  In fact, there is even a book about them.  (I also found a link to a neat vintage postcard with an image of the old gates to the neighborhood off Kingshighway.  These gates are now closed, and you enter a different way.)  There were actually quite a few people there - more than I expected.  The house had some really great historical touches which were still in place and functional: a huge butler's sink, warming rack, and walk-in safe off the kitchen; an enormous green boiler in the basement with sizable pipes to carry the steam around, and a squeaky old staircase in the back (in contrast to the wide stone stairs in the front).  Oh, and lots of little balconies.


So there was that.  Then home for some swimming.  I don't have nearly enough time to enjoy the pool, so I have to take care to use it when I can, and weekends are the best for that!  It was warm and sunny, but not boiling hot.  All in all, a perfect day for some fun in the out-of-doors.  And I got to do a little magazine reading as well.  I am so woefully behind!

The last adventure of the day was another Father's (of Fathers') Day mean.  This time T and I went to eat with his family.  Dinner was grill fare (which I've been eating a lot of lately), and included some delicious potato salad, with orange (the flavor, not the color) cake for dessert.  As a bonus, I managed to avoid embarrassing myself at basketball this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment