Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Book Thief -- Take 2

Apologies, this will be another short post.

I finished The Book Thief a while back, and I loved it.  I started it a long time ago, but then got busy for a while, and finally got back to it when I got caught up on all my podcasts.  Props to Mr. Zusak for writing in a way that I was reminded of who the characters were, rather than having to go back and start over.

This book tells the tale of several years in the life of Liesel Meminger, and I don't think it's too much to say that they're not entirely happy.  (We are talking about the Nazis and the Holocaust, after all.)  But what Liesel is is resilient, and that makes for a story worth reading.  I don't want to say too much more for fear of spoiling it.

Bottom line: somehow this often incredibly sad tale winds up being pretty uplifting.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the movie and didn't like it at all, despite having loved the book. Save yourself the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true! It's such a hard book to talk about without giving any of the good stuff away. I love this book...it might be on my desert island list.

    ReplyDelete