Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? -- Take 2

This is a strange book.  I listened to the audio version, and I think that was a huge help in understanding the narrator, who is a 15-year-old girl.  I was a 15-year-old girl myself roughly half my life ago, but holy hell, it might as well have been a hundred years in the past, for all the kinship I feel with the person I was.

Anywho, the narrator did a pretty good job voicing the girl, and I think it made the story much more engaging than it probably would have been if I had been reading it.  There were a few times when I thought she was overboard with the drippy emotions, but on the whole it was likely an improvement over having to voice the character myself.  I do not believe that would have gone well.

As for the meat of the story, it was pretty good.  I was intrigued by the disappearance at the center of the book, but a bit disappointed by the resolution.  That's all I'll say about that, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.  But I very much liked the way the book was put together, largely built out of letters, emails, and other forms of communication between the various characters.

Bottom line: maybe it's not so different from Gone Girl after all: interesting assembly of the story, but I was left a little flat at the end.  Between the two, though, I'd pick this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment