Friday, November 27, 2015

SLIFF

I had a very busy fall, and only managed to make it to one SLIFF showing.  (I know, I'll do better next year.  Otherwise how will you find out about all the weird movies you'll never see anyway?)  The screening of choice was a compilation, so it should really count for more, I think: "Narrative Shorts: Leading Ladies."

The link above has a quick synopsis of each of the films, so I'll let you read about them there.  But in case you're wondering, my favorite was Falling to Pieces, a moving story about a woman who seeks out the recipients of her husband's organs in an effort to cope with his loss.  I also liked Beverley, about an adolescent girl in a rough neighborhood in Britain struggling with her racial identity and family responsibilities.

Those are both pretty traditional stories - like real movies with a real plot, but shorter.  As far as weird head scratchers go, I liked Career Girl (a bit in the realm of magical realism) and The Little Death (a normal story, but one of those ones that just makes you go, "huh?").

No comments:

Post a Comment