Friday, January 20, 2017

What I Read -- Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon

I don't think I ever posted when I started reading Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon.  It was right before I headed off for my trip to the titular natural wonder last spring, and my internet access was already limited.

This book was loaned to me by my friend J, who is part Native American and has spent a fair amount of time in the southwest.  It perhaps wasn't the best idea to start reading it prior to going there myself, but I did it nonetheless.

The book is divided into chapters based on the type of death -- falls, dehydration/starvation, drowning, suicide, and murder, among others.  The chapter on drownings did not come along until after the completion of our trip, and I'm glad it worked out that way, not so much because it would have made me think twice about it, but because I was much better able to picture the situation described in the book having since become familiar with the rapids myself.

This book isn't as long as it appears; each chapter concludes with a chart summarizing the deaths of the particular type which are described in that particular section.  It did begin to drag a bit in the middle, but really picked up again at the end with the chapter on murders.  If you're getting stuck trying to plow through it, just skip to the end for the juicy bits.

If you're just curious about the map and statistics but don't want to bother with the book, and interactive map based on the book is available here.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There were parts that were, but there were parts that were also funny, in a sick way -- like all the people who were backing up to take a picture and stepped off the edge, or people who were goofing around and pretending to fall...and then actually did. Oops.

      Delete