Sunday, November 5, 2017

What I Watched -- Alive

When I was a kid, I remember being told that I couldn't watch Alive because it wasn't kid-friendly.  That much is true, although it isn't particularly visually gruesome, especially as movies these days go.

The story, however, is among the more awful things one could probably imagine.  It is the more-or-less true story of a plane carrying the Uruguayan rugby team, among others, that crashed into the Andes mountains.  The survivors were left for dead after search and rescue efforts were abandoned.  With little in the way of food and supplies, they resorted to eating meat off their deceased fellow passengers in order to survive.

One might call the remainder of this post a spoiler, but the outcome is pretty well known:

Two of the players, Nando Parrado and (now-Dr.) Roberto Canessa trekked for ten days through the mountains, with minimal gear and nothing in the way of direction, to find civilization and alert the authorities that there were still survivors awaiting rescue.

In all, 16 passengers survived the 72-day ordeal in the mountains.

Bottom line: what a story.

And, you can see the whole thing on YouTube!

1 comment:

  1. One of my friends went to school with these guys (he was living in Uruguay when I was living in Mexico) and said that the book ALIVE! was their story, so I read it when it first came out. I was afraid it would scare you girls from flying, especially in winter.

    ReplyDelete