Monday, July 12, 2010

Chicago - Day 1 - Northwestern

Chicago Sprints Regatta was this past weekend in Lincoln Park. J and I took off after work on Friday and drove up to Evanston for the race. We stayed at J&Ts house; they were out of town, but C was there dog-sitting so we got to see her and her boyfriend.

I had one race on Saturday (which I almost missed due to the fact that the Lincoln Park Boat Club didn't post the heat sheets online so I didn't know what time my race was!). That race didn't go too well, which was disappointing, but it freed me up for an hour of chatting with my college friend M (while J was going on his 12-mile run). Which was lovely. We hadn't talked in a while, and she had just returned from a South African adventure! World Cup and Vic Falls and safaris, oh my!

J and I spent an hour or two in the afternoon wandering around E-town and the Northwestern campus, hiding out under trees when it started to rain (smart, huh?), and reading our magazines. And I took some pics! Hooray!
Baby bunny in the sorority quad

The Arch

The Rock

Students paint this to promote events, and during the school year the design/even changes every day or so. There is a blog chronicling the Rock's adventures here.

University Hall - the English Department (the History building is being renovated)

Random plaque

Our reading bench

J not excited about me taking his picture

Trees on the Lakefill

Deering Music Library

We finished up the day by meeting with Margaret and her friend M (3 Ms!) at Flat Top for some delicious Mongolian BBQ, then got ice cream to top it off. It was an absolutely beautiful afternoon and evening, and was nice to be outside without feeling suffocated by the heat and humidity that hangs over St. Louis all summer!

Coming tomorrow: a couple pics from the regatta which J took...stay tuned!

1 comment: