Friday, October 1, 2010

What I Watched -- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Actually, I didn't watch this movie, but I tried to. I was unsuccessful. Partially I wasn't paying enough attention - and it's in French with subtitles, so I was missing every other line. Partially I had to go to bed so never even made it to the end (and it's due back to the library today). And partially it was just kinda weird.

It's the story of a group of Frenchies who are constantly trying but always failing to have a meal together. The first time, some of them arrive at the house on the wrong night. Then some of the ladies go out for tea, but the restaurant is out of tea. And coffee. Then everybody shows up at the right place and time, but two of the party members ran off to the garden to get it on. Et cetera. Et cetera. Et cetera. Then they all start having weird dreams about their upcoming get-togethers, so you're not sure if what you're seeing is real or someone's dream.

All in all, other than its very true commentary on how life always gets in the way of your plans, this was some weird stuff. I don't think I'll ever finish it.

Bottom line: watch only if you're on drugs or want to be a little confused.

1 comment:

  1. My professor once described this experience as life getting in the way of life. That seems to be my daily existence.

    ReplyDelete