Monday, October 25, 2010

Why I Love Calendars

If given a choice of one of the pair, I usually lean towards pessimism - a fact which does very little to explain why I love calendars. And I'm talking about paper calendars here, specifically wall and desk calendars.

I love them for all the opportunities they present. When you buy a new calendar, it is full of 365 totally blank slate days. Then you start to fill them up with the things you have planned. Usually the first things I put on a new calendar are birthdays. Then go the things which are usually planned pretty far in advance, like vacations and family events. Then go the rest of those life responsibilities, and even though some of them aren't so fun, they don't spoil everything.

I love calendars because you can look ahead as far as you want and see what's coming.

I love calendars because they have pretty pictures, and I don't care that what I just said makes me sound like I'm four years old. They do have pretty pictures: London, Van Gogh, vintage posters, the Irish countryside, New York City. Pretty much whatever you're interested in, you can find a calendar for. And that's awesome.

2 comments: