Friday, May 3, 2013

This I Used to Believe

Y'all know I like listening to This American Life on NPR. There is an archived episode from April 2009 called "This I Used To Believe." It's a play on the NPR series This I Believe, which in turn was a copycat of the old Edward R. Murrow series of the same name. In both versions of This I Believe, famous people and average Joes were invited to write short essays identifying and elaborating on some particular thing they believe in.

The "This I Used To Believe" episode of This American Life wasn't good enough in itself to write about, but just the title of it got me thinking about all the things I used to believe which I don't anymore. Some of them are obvious and childish, some are just depressing: Santa, the tooth fairy, that bad things don't happen to good people.

Some of them are complicated, and I'm not even sure about them yet. Like life, I think beliefs are - and always will be - a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment